Leinster House was originally the ducal palace of the Dukes of Leinster. Since 1922, it is a complex of buildings, of which the former ducal palace is the core, which house Oireachtas Éireann, its members and staff. The most recognizable part of the complex, and the ‘public face’ of Leinster House, continues to be the former ducal palace at the core of the complex.
Names change and since we are talking history here, we have to refer back to when Leinster House was named Kildare House after James Fitzgerald, the Earl of Kildare, who commissioned it to be built between 1745 and 1747. After bringing this building out to life, Fitzgerald said that fashion will move in the direction that he creates, and we should all never deny that within an unfashionable area in the city, this building made it a desired one. After becoming the Duke of Leinster, the house was then renamed to become the Leinster House.
LEINSTER HOUSE - Dublin, Ireland - Its History, Tours and Architecture - The Parliament of Ireland
The design of this building was done by a German architect and it is even believed that it was inspired by the White House in the United States but no one could be totally sure about such a piece of information.Later on, this building - Leinster House - was sold by the third Duke of Leinster to the Royal Dublin Society (RDS) which its main goal was to improve the conditions of people and there are even different projects and public institutions done these days that owe their origins to the RDS, such as the National Botanic Gardens, the National College of Art and Design, the Dublin Veterinary College, the National Library, the National Gallery, and the National Museum.Before Leinster House became the seat of the two Houses of the Oireachtas (the National Parliament), it has been the place to host several different events such as those historic ones which where done in this building as well as the great industrial exhibition which opened in Leinster House.