What’s the next attraction you need to visit in County Wexford?
Well, why not check out the Irish Agricultural Museum. It offers one of the most detailed displays of farming life in Ireland and makes for a great day out for the whole family in Wexford. The museum and famine exhibition are house in a former estate farm building. where you’ll discover lots about Ireland’s past.
There is so much to see and experience at the Irish Agricultural Museum, dating back to the 18th century up to the middle of the 20th century, as you explore two floors worth of items, exhibitions and galleries on display.
What you can expect to see on a visit to the museum includes:
- The Transport Exhibition: This will take you on a journey through the different types of transport in Ireland back then from the development of horse-drawn vehicles and more.
- The Great Famine: This exhibition explores one of the biggest social disasters to happen in Ireland and Europe. Looking at how it played a role in Irish history, identity and culture.
- Harry Ferguson Tractor Display: You can look at the development of the modern tractor, particularly the history and importance of the Harry Ferguson tractors.
- Village Craft Exhibition: Learn all about the role of the craft people in the village community and how important their job role was in Ireland.
- Johnstown Castle Estate: Uncover the fascinating history and development of this stunning estate from its creation in the 12th century to now.
- Country Furniture: In this exhibition, it showcases a variety of traditional rural furniture when families were big and the homes were very small.
These are just a few of the things you can explore on a trip to the Irish Agricultural Museum. While here you must explore the unmissable grounds surrounding the historical castle where the museum is housed.
There is so much to see while wandering around, from over 200 varieties of trees and shrubs, a beautiful lakeside, waterfalls, gothic towers and statues to appreciated.
Irish Agricultural Museum Opening Hours:
- Monday to Friday – 9am – 5pm
- Saturday to Sunday – 11am – 5pm
- Bank Holidays – 11am – 5pm
Changes to opening times happen throughout the year:
- November – February – Open to 4pm
- July – August – Open till 6pm
Museum and Castle Gardens Admission Prices:
- Adult – €3
- Child/student – €1
- OAP/Group – €2
- Family – €8
Garden and Museum:
- Adult – €8
- Child/Student – €4
- OAP/Group – €6
- Family – €24
Check out their website for more information and to plan your trip to the Irish Agricultural Museum.
Looking for more attractions to check out in County Wexford? Then check out these below: