The Four Courts (Irish: Na Ceithre Cúirteanna) is Ireland’s main courts building, located on Inns Quay in Dublin. The Four Courts is the location of the Supreme Court, the Court of Appeal, the High Court and the Dublin Circuit Court. Until 2010 the building also housed the Central Criminal Court; this is now located in the Criminal Courts of Justice. The building originally housed the four courts of Chancery, King’s Bench, Exchequer and Common Pleas, giving the name to the building.
Four Courts Along the River Liffey in Dublin, Ireland - Building Started in 1786, Finished in 1802
The building originally housed the four courts of Chancery, King's Bench, Exchequer and Common Pleas, giving the name to the building.Under the Supreme Court of Judicature Act (Ireland) 1877, these four courts were replaced by the Court of Appeal, presided by the Lord Chancellor, and the High Court of Justice, presided by Lord Chief Justice, but the building has retained its historic name.On 14 April 1922 the courts complex was occupied by IRA forces opposed to the Anglo-Irish Treaty, led by Rory O'Connor. On 27 June the new National Army attacked the building to dislodge the rebels, on the orders of the Minister for Defence Richard Mulcahy, authorised by President of Dáil Éireann Arthur Griffith.